Letting go... Halloween Edition

As a parent “letting go” and allowing kids to be kids can be hard. I adore Pinterest, seriously my whole life is centered around it. Those little Pinterest kids all look so perfect and all the ideas make me think “yeah I could totally do this”.
Buuutt, it never works out like that. My big example of this – Halloween.
I wanted to be a cute family who dresses in all super hero costumes or maybe adorable woodland animals. My five year old wanted to be The Flash. Dead set, no changing his mind. He’s the kid so of course I let him have what he wanted. My two year old picked out a costume she loved from scrolling through ideas on my phone. So I ended up with The Flash and some kind of Zebra Monster. Mom and Dad ran out of time to even dress up this year.
Then there was the day of Halloween. A Tuesday, of course. I’m “that” mom, my sole goal in life is to be as extra as I can and give my kids a great childhood experience. So I drew pumpkins on all of Isaac’s school lunch baggies and three a few pieces of candy in there. I really wanted to do a full blown pumpkin lunch theme but I just didn’t have the time.
But I still had plans to go all out on pumpkin pancakes. Well guess what. My kids didn’t want pancakes. They ALWAYS want pancakes. *insert eye roll* I had to think fast. A can of mandarin oranges, we happened to have some grapes and pineapples in the fridge too. BAM themed breakfast. Isaac said it looked like a alien and Audrey wouldn’t stop kissing it but whatever.
I tried all day to make sure everything was packed and ready to come home and get ready quick to go Trick or Treating. I swear I forgot like half the stuff because everyone was rushing and yelling and we barley made it in time before it started.
Trick or Treating was good. Audrey was carried most of the time and Isaac was running ahead of us so pictures were kind of a no go. They made it a good hour before we ended up carrying them both and decided to call quits. They ate some hotdogs and cupcakes at a party and Kyle and I picked up fast-food on the ride home.
Everyone was in bed probably before 9:30. Happy Halloween.
Moral of the long winded story is that I can’t make everything perfect and hardly anything planned goes right  however, my kids had an amazing Halloween and I hope they at least remember how hard mama tries to make everything extra special. And Pinterest, you will always be my best friend but also my worst enemy.
Letting go and allowing my kids to have the reins for anything, especially holidays, is hard for me but I'm working on it!
Happy Holidays mamas, try to relax and enjoy this year even if it gets hectic!







Comments

Popular Posts